Finding the best online sports betting site can be challenging. As legal sports betting options become more prevalent, both dedicated bettors and everyday sports fans are looking for the best online sportsbooks and betting apps.
We’ve reviewed 228 online betting sites and spent hundreds of hours identifying the top sites for betting on sports. Our reviewers include professional bettors and sports fans who bet occasionally.
Their experiences using each of these sportsbooks have revealed the fastest payouts, best odds, and juiciest bonuses, all of which are detailed here for you.
Our reviews of the top rated betting sites are based on our use of each site to make bets and the analysis included in our research study exploring industry standards. Sign up with one of our quick picks or read the guide below to identify the betting site that’s best for you.
How to Choose an Online Betting Site That’s Right for You – Guide
Online sportsbooks and betting apps have revolutionized the way fans bet on their favorite sports. As the industry continues to grow, it’s essential to know what qualities to look for when selecting a betting site that best fits your needs.
There are an astounding number of betting sites available across the web, and each of them have distinct advantages. Whether you’re an experienced sports bettor or are looking to place your first wager, it’s easy to get overwhelmed at first glance. Focusing on a few key points can help you quickly identify the online sportsbook that’s right for you.
The guide that follows identifies which of these top-ranked sportsbooks is strongest in specific areas, such as bonus offers, mobile accessibility, ease of use, and more. Read on for Sports Betting Dime’s recommendations, or simply jump into the detailed reviews of each individual sportsbook.
Online Sportsbook Bonuses & Promotions: Don’t Miss the Extra Value
Virtually every online sportsbook offers bonuses and promotions to entice new users and keep them coming back, but these offers vary widely in terms of overall value and restrictions.
Most of these sports betting promo offers take the form of welcome promotions that give you a bit of extra cash to get started with. It’s important to pay close attention to the terms and conditions attached to each of these bonus offers – their value can be significant when used correctly.
The best online sportsbooks also offer ongoing value through promotions such as boosted odds, contests, and loyalty programs.
Check out the table below to compare the pros and cons of the most common sports betting bonus types you’ll encounter:
|Sign up Bonuses||Available to everyone These offers can be worth up to $1,000 You do not need to compete with others or make correct picks in order to take advantage||Many of these bonuses come with restrictions You often have to bet a large amount of your own money before you can withdraw the bonus Many sportsbooks place restrictions on the games eligible for these bonuses|
|Boosted Odds||Available on an ongoing or even daily basis Simple terms: get an increased payout with improved odds on select odds Often offered on high-profile events||Lines with boosted odds aren’t always a smart bet (you still need to win!) Easy to get suckered into a boosted bet that doesn’t actually present good value|
|Contests||Prizes for winning a betting contest can be as high as $500,000 It’s a lot of fun to compete with other bettors to see who has the best handicapping skills Many contests are offered weekly, providing plenty of opportunities to cash out||There are a lot of talented bettors out there; you need to be very confident in your skills Many contests involve an entry fee; these can range anywhere from $25 – $5,000 depending on the caliber of competition The biggest contests are focused on NFL football and March Madness|
|VIP & Loyalty Programs||Just like your favorite coffee shop, many betting sites will reward you for coming back These programs typically offer free bets, but rewards such as free vacations or new vehicles aren’t unheard of||Shopping around for the best odds at a variety of sportsbooks is often considered the best way to find value betting on sports Loyalty rewards are usually triggered once you’ve lost a certain amount of money|
Ultimately, you want to look for a site with a bonus structure that works for you. Deposit match and loyalty programs are best for those who plan to deposit and wager large amounts, while boosted odds and contests provide a bit of ongoing intrigue and excitement for bettors of all stripes.
Features for New Sports Bettors
As sports betting becomes increasingly accessible worldwide, more casual fans are constantly jumping into the action. While there’s always a learning curve when transitioning from watching sports to betting on them, some sportsbooks go out of their way to help you quickly get up to speed.
For instance, tools like parlay calculators and odds converters ensure you understand exactly how much money you stand to win. While well-written FAQs, blog posts, or explanatory content can help you master the basics and beyond.
Some sportsbooks effectively cater to both beginners and experts alike, while others are squarely focused on the “sharp money” market. If you’re a bit green, it’s worth signing up for an online betting site that helps you learn the ropes or is at least easy to navigate and understand.
Final Factors to Consider
In addition to the sportsbook experience itself, there are several practical factors to consider when selecting the betting site that’s best for you:
🏠 Where do you live?
– While sports betting is becoming more accessible, options may be limited depending on the country and/or state you live in.
– Some countries (like the UK) have an incredible number of legal betting options, while in the US the legality of sports betting and the number of options to bet online vary from state to state.
📈 How often do the odds change?
– Some sportsbooks adjust the odds more frequently than others.
– Carefully monitoring these changes can be an effective way to find value on one side of the wager, but this strategy can be too time-consuming for casual bettors.
– If you prefer to place your bets without fear of better odds popping up an hour later, look for a book that takes a “set and forget” approach to their lines.
🏎🏎🏎🏎 How early are the lines released?
– Some online sportsbooks will release the odds days or even weeks ahead of game day, while others tend to cut things a bit closer.
– If you’re a very knowledgeable and confident bettor, putting your money down early can often secure better odds. – But if you’re new to betting or find yourself wagering on a sport you don’t know as well, it’s probably best to wait until closer to game day to place your bets.
– If you prefer to bet on sports like hockey, baseball, or basketball, you’ll see much less variation in line release times. If you’re a fan of football or combat sports, on the other hand, you might want to consider a sportsbook that releases their lines well in advance.
💰 How much of a cut does the sportsbook take?
– Every online betting site charges a commission to handle your wager (called the ‘juice,’ ‘vig,’ or ‘vigorish’), but the amounts vary between books and individual games.
– Over the long term, the difference in vig can be the difference between turning a profit or suffering a loss.
– Odds of -110 are generally standard for points spreads and totals. This means you must bet $1.10 to win $1. Books that charge more than this are considered pricey, while those that consistently offer odds at -105 are generally considered to be a value.
– If you plan to place a couple of bets casually, these differences won’t have such a large impact. On the other hand, those who plan to bet consistently will notice the toll a high vig can take on your bankroll over time.
– Consider how much money you plan to wager over the next year. The higher the number, the more you should consider finding a sportsbook with low average juice.
⛳️ Do they offer a wide variety of lines on your favorite sports?
-There’s often incredible value to be found betting on smaller market teams and sports, but not every sportsbook offers lines on these less frequently covered games. If you want to bet on snooker, darts, cricket, or any other event you’re not likely to see on national television, make sure you find a sportsbook that has the resources to formulate betting lines for them.
– While many bettors stick to the ‘big four’ North American sports of football, baseball, basketball, and hockey, many sportsbooks also allow you to put money down on anything from table tennis to Belarusian Premier League soccer.
Make sure you select an online sportsbook that’s committed to protecting your personal information as closely as you do.
You’ll often be providing your identification and financial information to make a withdrawal. Ensure any sportsbook you trust with this valuable personal information is regulated in a reputable jurisdiction and has a solid track record of protecting consumer info.
Signing up with one of the legal options found here is the simplest way to ensure your safety when betting online.
Following the 2018 US Supreme Court decision that legalized sports betting at the federal level, it’s easier than ever to safely and legally bet on sports online. In the US, each individual state makes their own laws and rules regulating online sports betting.
Once you’ve confirmed that online sports betting is legal in your state of residence, it’s time to see which sportsbooks are available.
Ultimately, everything comes down to one simple question:
Is this sportsbook legally accessible from where I live?
- Legal sites are geo-restricted and may not be available nationwide
- Licenses are granted on a state-by-state basis, which means some online sportsbooks aren’t available even where online gambling is allowed
In the United States, legal betting sites will frequently check your location to ensure compliance with relevant state laws. Looking for these location checks is a great way to see if you’re betting with a safe and licensed option.
Elsewhere in the world, access to online sportsbooks will often be blocked completely from jurisdictions in which the sites cannot legally operate. In any case, make sure licensing information is available somewhere on the site.
The Final Word
Just like any form of entertainment, finding the online sportsbook and app that works best for you comes down to balancing the available features with the cost. When it comes to sports betting, differences in cost play out as higher juice or less desirable bonus offers.
Think about your individual needs and your motivation to bet on sports. Some books are better for those looking for the most value, some cater exclusively to the most experienced ‘sharp’ bettors, and others simply provide a fun and easy-to-use online gambling experience.
Take some time to explore the individual sportsbook reviews found on this site, keeping in mind the criteria covered throughout this guide. The snapshots in the list above will help you quickly determine if each site fits your individual preferences as a bettor.